Destroyed by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, Jackson Barracks is being restored through the addition of two new multi-use buildings. White-Spunner Construction is midway through its construction of a Multi-Use Complex containing two buildings at Jackson Barracks in New Orleans. A venerable military installation whose history dates to the 1830s, Jackson Barracks serves as headquarters for the Louisiana National Guard, employing approximately 11,000 people. The narrow post, which covers about 100 acres stretching from the Mississippi River, sustained severe damage during Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Floodwater up to 18-feet deep devastated multiple buildings, many of which were listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In December 2009, White-Spunner Construction joined the rebuilding process when it began construction of an $11.4 million Multi-Use Complex containing two buildings: Building A and Building B. Building A, measuring 41,140 square feet, contains museum and office space, a theater and workshop. Building B, with 22,800 square feet, contains offices and the post exchange where soldiers purchase food and tax-exempt merchandise. Building A ties into the existing military museum, which is housed in the 1826-era powder magazine. The museum’s historic walls include original bullet holes and the names, dates and messages that were scratched on the walls over the years by soldiers. Preserving these historic walls has been an ongoing priority for White-Spunner Construction. “They have been exceptionally sensitive to maintaining the historic nature of the military museum,” says Read Irvin, Project Manager for the Shaw Group, retained by the State of Louisiana Office of Facility Planning & Control. “During site work, White-Spunner Construction workers have closely monitored vibration with vibration testing. And each time they uncover a potential artifact, they make sure the state historic preservation office reviews the item before proceeding. We’ve had many unforeseen conditions arise, and they’ve been patient and accommodating each time,” Irvin notes. (Photo courtesy of Richard A. Choate, AIA, NCARB, Principal, SCNZ Architects, LLC) To maintain historical consistency, White-Spunner Construction used hand-made bricks from St. Joe Brickworks in Pearl River—the same brick manufacturer source for the original 1826-era armory. The firm also took extra precaution to protect the museum’s walls by driving pilings five feet away. “Jackson Barracks is an incredible architectural treasure and a staple of the community. We’re proud to have a hand in rebuilding it and spurring re-development in New Orleans,“ explains Chad Hall, Project Manager for White-Spunner Construction. Other White-Spunner Construction major building projects currently underway in the region include: • University of South Alabama Student Recreation Center – Mobile, AL • Public Health Laboratory – Jackson, MS • Gulfport Municipal Complex – Gulfport, MS